FSK405 Community Website Urban Terror, Bad Company 2 and BF3 Gaming Community!!

Forums

• So you guys obviously put a lot of time into picking your mapcycle.txt, but what i don't get is why you don't set up the server settings?

A few things that I've noticed:

g_respawnprotection needs to be set for respawn gods, two seconds is a good number, with 18+ people, nade spam and spawn camp is a real problem.

g_respawndelay on a few maps are crazy low, especially with 18+ people playing, promoting camping and frustrating game play.

g_inactivity needs to be set so afk players get kicked after a few minutes, so they don't just sit on the server for hours and hours, 300 seconds is good.

g_smoothclients should be set to one, helps cut down on warping.

Antiwarp should be set to g_antiwarpTol "50"

Some standard respawndelays:
    (though for the other crazy fsk maps, a standard of 12 is good.)

ut_subway2 (14)
    ut_pgrounds-day (14)
    ut_paradise (15)
    ut_filtration (14)
    ut_algiers (12)
    ut_toxic2 (14)
    ut_turnpike (14)
    ut_canyon2 (11)
    ut_sanc (15)
    ut_rommel (14)
    ut_casa (15)
    ut_crenshaw (15)
    ut_turnpike (14)
    ut_riyadh (14)

Having voting on should also make playing on fsk a lot more enjoyable, for kicking afk people and tkers, calling shuffles, or map changes. Especially needed late at night when there's only 6-10 people on.

If you guys make these changes, combined with your daily reboots would make it a lot more fun for everyone to play on a fsk server. Theres also a few irc scripts that can be employed to change settings at different times of the day, or reboot after an interval, change client limits, etc... Defiantly worth a look into...

I've included an example configuration.

]1170547209_1021_FT0_example_server.zip[/file]

• 1st respawnprotections sucks, and I refuse to ever use that antiwarp crap or respawn protection, g_inactivity is 360- cmon 60 more seconds! And our respawn delay is not too low, only 1 is under 15 seconds.. And Voteing just does not work on our server, too many people abuse it.
    and heres about the other..
    "g_smoothClients has been in the Q3 engine for quite a while. It enables lag compensation for clients with bad connections. Back in the day this would eat a lot of CPU cycles on the server so it was made optional."

And trust me, I put alot of work into the server.cfg.. A get requests for it daily and no you cant have it! =)

• I appreciate your concern though.. I'll check out yah script in a bit.

• Fuck respawn protection. It has never been on our server by default and that is one thing that I for one appreciate about it (not a opinion of FSK405 but of Earl). I hate trying to rush in on a map like turnipke and only to have a 3 second respawn on someone shooting me grabbing their flag after I have already dumped four rounds into their kevlar.

GGs FSK405.cfg!

• Fuck respawn protection? Have you even played on the fsk server recently on tpike? I can't count how many times blue has just been sitting all over red's spawn. It's no fun spawning in the middle of half the other team, especially on small maps were it takes 10 secs to get to the other team's spawn. Even a respawn protection of 1 would make a HUGE difference, at least you'll be able to see who is shooting at you.

Again, no respawn protection would only be a nuisance, however when 24 people are playing on a tiny map it becomes ridiculous. That's what makes it so hard to make a good config that is balanced for all sized games and maps, a 24 person game is totally difference from a 12 person game. Especially with often times a huge disparity between teams skill.

• I can hear the sound of noob bitchen.

Seriously tho - You have your own server to configure the way you like.

• hey man I have been running it this way for 5 years. You'll get used to it..

• Lies, thank you for your suggestions and we will consider them individually.

You have made some good observations and valid points. Ghozt said it best when referring to enabling/disabling voting, unfortunately when voting is on, people tend to vote for maps/cyclemap during hotly contested maps and/or repeatedly abuse their privilege to vote. A huge problem with enabling voting is once a map has been voted, played, and then come to its conclusion, the mapcycle will not start where it left off, and instead it will start at the beginning of the cycle. Once again, as I have stated on numerous threads, Dank and I work hard to provide the UrT and FSK community with a fresh monthly mapcycle that would never see its completion with voting enabled. But there are many other abuses that have caused the FSK to adopt this policy, way too many to list plus I just don’t want to rehash old topics.

One suggestion you make that I totally agree with is g_respawndelay. Dank actually keeps a record of all the respawn times for each map; I can even count how many maps are in his journal. We have increased the respawn time on all maps to 14-16 seconds depend on the size of the map. This is a recent change within the past few months as FSK servers continually have 20+ people playing every night. What a great problem to have...huh?

As for g_respawnprotection, this has been a hot topic in the forums in the past and Dank and I rarely enable this and only on a map-by-map basis within the mapcycle. Our general rule of thumb is no respawn protection, but there is always the exception. For example, the only way you can attempt to play ut_haven is to enable g_respawnprotection “2�, because of the spawn sniping ability that the battlements provide.

Anyway, I will not go on and list the why’s for each of your suggestions, you get the point. Ghozt has been tweaking the server config for five years and I’m sure he will continue to optimize the config as he sees fit or UrT dies, whichever comes first. My guess…UrT dies…lol

Seriously, thank you for your suggestions.

BTW, Donate $$ if you can…this shit isn’t cheap!

Thx, Frog

• what frog said 8)

if you dont like getting picked off right after respawn, "move out of the way and become a better player!"
    example 1: after respawn a noob sits there and says "hey i just respawned, i better go get the flag" and while your standing around thinking how many BIG MACs you can eat, you get camped and loose you head.

example 2: after a seasoned played like earl is about to respawn, he is thinking: " shit ZELLIS is gona try to spawn camp my ass, i better move now before i respawn so he cant hit me". Earl respawns and instantly runs out of spawn, i fire and hit his hand. i would have taken his head, but earl is a good played and knows what to do to minimize his spawn deaths on a map like tpike.

so basicly... be like Earl and get over it.

• r u vex lies? or just a name stealer? anyways, the config that we have seems to bring in 20+ players on any given night, so thanks for the info but we shoot first and worrry about configs.....never!

Moderator(s): FSK405 Earl, Frog, DankRider, Fokker, LadyHellfire*, Reflux