FSK405 Community Website Urban Terror, Bad Company 2 and BF3 Gaming Community!!

Forums

• Continuation on what was being discussed in the thread rabbit started. Im posting it in the superman section just so it's easy to find in relation to the original.

Its not really "zooming" with an LR300 its just a fov change. 90 fov is "zoomed" 110 fov is "unzoomed". If you play standard at 90 then its equivalent to him playing zoomed in. I used to use this back when i used a 17inch monitor. I liked playing at 105 fov so I could see things around me but i had trouble seeing far objects so I would change my fov to 90 to see it. If you think a simple variable change is hacking you're on something strong.

BanMe
    You can't have both. And where do you draw the line? Why not getting a script for not-getting unscoped when hit, or to remove the black frame when zoomed in just to "see better"? Hmm the enemy is not only too far away but hiding behind a building, why not use a little script to see through walls

Moving_Target

Scripts just use in game commands/variables that you can type directly into the console. Since there isn't an in game variable that turns unscope off or one that takes the black frame off they couldn't be functions of a script. You would have to have some form of a hack to do that. At least to my knowledge anyway.

I use a few scripts everytime i play. I have one for when i use auto's that binds my mouse2 to toggle cl_run, makes my side mouse button crouch, and sets my mouse3 to toggle secondary/pistol/knife. I then have one for sniping that rebinds mouse2/3 to zoomin/zoomreset and makes my side button toggle cl_run. I have one that cycles through 50 crosshair colors and another that cycles through all 13 crosshair types as well as sizes 1-100. All of these things can be changed in the in game menu or through the console. The script just makes it way easier/faster to do it by pressing one key.

•  

• And magnets are just voodoo majik. I know Zim is being somewhat facetious in his comments, but I did notice in the 'other' thread that there is a certain mindset of "If I don't understand it, then it's wrong."

There is a fundamental difference between hacking the game and using scripts to control normal game variables. If id Software or Frozen Sands didn't want you to have control over certain game variables, they would have not included them, or removed them, so it isn't like they don't want you tweaking with things. They were careful in what they permitted you to tweak in order to keep the game fair across the board.

The change that rabbit brought up altered a cvar that was originally intended to compensate for poor FPS, back when the Q3 engine used the FPS to perform certain calculations with regard to player movement. That has changed with the current releases of UrT, where player movement is no longer dependent on FPS. The cvar in question had some very entertaining side effects that FS eventually corrected. Unfortunately, in their effort to correct it, they missed.

With regards to hacks vs. scripts, this particular change, though it is a cvar change, affects the overall game play in such a way that it violates the intended game play. Why? Because it exploits a flaw in the game engine.

Analogy:
    I offer an FTP site with anonymous access. All are welcome to come and leech. (Allowed and condoned.)
    You found my private stash of personal files because my FTP software failed to handle the 'cd' command correctly. (Not allowed and it would be professional of you to tell me what happened and how.)

So you know how to bind radio commands to a key. Good for you.
    I know how to bind my mouse1 to 'sensitivity 0.8; +attack;' so that my sloppy mouse control can get an improved aim.

Some people are craftier than others, some people make more money, some ppl have crappy vid cards, crappy systems. Why should I be limited to your limitations? Some scripting concoctions seem downright unfair, but is it because you couldn't figure it out or because you were higher and mightier than somebody else and would never stoop so low as to learn how to write a few console commands to a file and bind it to a key? There is a fundamental difference between hacking the game and using scripts to control normal game variables. One takes advantage of a flaw in the map or game engine, the other takes advantage of what the game / map developers gave you to use.

I think what would be great to be recognized by all the readers of this thread, if you have something to share with the community, then by all means share it. Just as BanMe has done, if you have some binds, tips and tricks, etc. that have helped you out, share them. Why hold back? Ever been on the jump server with Zim and/or Bong? They are great teachers. They don't run off and leave you behind and tease you about how poor you're doing. Frog and Dank have both helped improve my game. It improves your enjoyment of the game, improves theirs because now you're a tougher target to hit, and overall improves the community that we all enjoy.

-R

• I wish I had seen this before posting in another thread.
    Reflux for President!
    I'm amazed at how many people on Superman still use a rate of 8,000. The couple of times I have tried to tell people to change it to 25,000, they act like I'm setting them up for a system crash.

• If id Software or Frozen Sands didn't want you to have control over certain game variables, they would have not included them, or removed them, so it isn't like they don't want you tweaking with things.[...]affects the overall game play in such a way that it violates the intended game play.

Reflux

I'm with you on most of what you said, the only thing which we seem to disagree on is the intended use of game variables. I simply think that, e.g in case of the FOV settings, the intended use is to adapt the variables to your personal preferences, monitor size or resolution etc. and it's not intended to be used as some sort of "zoom" via bind on an unscoped weapon.

Just like mouse sensitivity/gamma calibration/rate it's an option you tweak till it fits your needs & wants, and then you'll choose that perfect setting once and not switch back and forth ingame.

But then again it's not that big of an issue, impossible to enforce anyway and seems it's only me who don't likes it :)

cheers
    MT

• Yeah you don't really need the fov changer anymore when you get a 27 inch monitor ;)

• I'm with you on most of what you said, the only thing which we seem to disagree on is the intended use of game variables. I simply think that, e.g in case of the FOV settings, the intended use is to adapt the variables to your personal preferences, monitor size or resolution etc. and it's not intended to be used as some sort of "zoom" via bind on an unscoped weapon.

Moving_Target

I can totally agree with you on this one. As you may have noticed or not, FS locked the FOV to a range of 90 - 110. Prior to this, you could really get away with "scoping" the LR300, et. al. It seems like they were trying to stop exactly that. The concept of scripting was to give some freedom to some of the game options. It would be very hard to control how that freedom is used (exploited).

-R

• And magnets are just voodoo majik. I know Zim is being somewhat facetious in his comments, but I did notice in the 'other' thread that there is a certain mindset of "If I don't understand it, then it's wrong."

Reflux
    Yes, that's an all-too-often theme in many areas (not just gaming).

It seems pretty popular for people to share their scripts. If anything's going to make an 'unfair script' acceptable then it'd be everyone having access to it.

It's one of the steady-state equilibria of a cold-war model. If neither the US nor the USSR have nukes then there can't be any nuclear war (no duh). If *both* the US and the USSR have nukes then strategies such as "MAD" (mutually-assured destruction) can forestall a nuclear war. But, if only the US or the USSR have nukes, then the 'nuclear side' could better their position by issuing a nuclear strike. In this case, 'ability enhancing scripts' are analogous to nukes. Either no one should have them or everyone should (under that analogy).

Unfortunately, a similar game-theoretic strategic model predicts all or most UrT players are hackers.

Or, if you're an NRA member: Substitute "guns" for "nukes" in the above.

• Unfortunately, a similar game-theoretic strategic model predicts all or most UrT players are hackers.

MrTinker.Um3

You said Game Theory so I couldn't resist

The hackers dilemma
    BanMeGame

I win with a dominate strategy of not cheating.

•  

Moderator(s): FSK405 Earl, Frog, DankRider, Fokker, LadyHellfire*, Reflux