FSK405 Community Website Urban Terror, Bad Company 2 and BF3 Gaming Community!!

Forums

• In lieu of sleeping and doing the normal things a graduate student should do with their time (read - booze, wimmen, and coke), I wrote up this.

It's a synopsis of the rules of conduct I wish we mods were all operating under (and probably are, for the most part). It's also, more importantly, geared toward taking some of the guessing out of how to properly use the commands a moderator has been given access to.

I will admit that this is written in a voice that I don't have the authority to write from. It's simply a draft of rules of conduct for moderators that I think would take the guessing out of our duties.

I'd appreciate input and/or kid gloves if this really misses the point. Ultimately, I'd like to see something like this paired with Glad's "cheat sheet".

I'd also like to add a section to it outlining what qualifies as racism or not. (Think: Black Jesus.) Perhaps a walk through any other misinterpret-able rules, too.

]1231926151_1431_FT0_supermanconduct.doc.zip[/file]

• Certainly in terms of racism, that is really down to individuals. Stuff like that (and a lot of the other things refs have to judge on) is very subjective to opinion.

I should hope that dank has chosen refs because of their good judgement.

Ultimately if I take offense to someones name, I ask them to change it. If they simply refuse, I will use !warn badname. Likewise to racism in the text chat, except without the request, I simply warn. I have a pretty fucking low tolerance for racism, but ofc that doesnt mean i dont laugh when gladi8r talks about me eating fish and chips with a cup of tea (mmmmmm).

Similarly, if another player takes offense to something, within reason I will take appropriate action too. Its not just refs that dont want to be offended!

• Good job, Tinker. Something like this has been sorely missed since the implementation of B3 and the elevation of many players to Moderator or Referee status, and could be a valuable tool for all of us once discussed with Dank and implemented as a set of guidelines. Input follows:

- 1 & 6, and 2 & 7 are redundant. Consolidate.
    - Specific examples would be helpful to most admins, especially new ones who have no idea what 'crosses the line' and what doesn't. Hell, most of us still don't. For instance: Team stacking: Verbal request for "teams please" (or !teams to autobalance as situation warrants). If same player continues to Team Stack, ask player to join the proper team and stay there. If it continues, use [!warn (player) tk] with each subsequent offense. Exceptions: A player who has repeatedly disrupted the server, or has had other warns for asshattery, can be !warned immediately. (or !kicked as the situation warrants) Please report repeated asshattery to (whichever thread we are using for that now).
    -I've been meaning to add some guidelines to the 'cheat sheet', but haven't gotten around to bending Dank's ear on the specifics for individual items. I'd be glad to help. Maybe a spreadsheet table format would work best- An 'overview' page of commands and shortcuts, to be printed and kept as quick reference, followed by page(s) of specifics for individual commands, code of conduct, general server rules, etc. Everyone who has level 20/40 could 'sign off' on it in a forum thread agreeing to the standards set forth in it.
    -Dankster, whaddya think? You want us to write up a rough draft of 'FSK405 Superman server admin guidelines' for you to review and correct?

• I think the first point needs clarifying, and the asshat tracker mentioning.

There are many players for whom I have no tolerance of asshattery, and I dont bother spamming the rules to those players, I simply warn them.

The asshat tracker is a great way of keeping a lid on persistant offenders.

Also on the issue of spamming rules before warnings - when the server is busy, or simply busy with asshats, reffing takes over from playing. other players can see the warnings, and can always type !rules if theyre not sure what they can and cant do. At these times I do not spam rules. If people break them intentionally then they get !warns. My two cents anyway. Im sure all the refs have been in when its a full time job keeping the game going.

good job btw dude

• Awesome work. I agree with the fact that some Mods need cheat sheets. I know personally I have a paper close by to easily remember rules. As far as offensive language i disagree with Dads view on being personal with a players name. A player has a right to his own name but if hes being offensive after the fact than its every Mod to his own to put him in his place.

I always keep in the back of my head whenever i made a Mod decision on how it will reflect upon Dank and FSK. I try to keep personal feelings out of the equation because it seems that will only make matters worse. So far im very happy with all the Mods we have. Some dont do anything unless theirs a cheater and some are right on top of everything the whole game and yet still kick ass.

What would be really useful is some kind of bind script with all the rules and cmds. I say we take that task on fellas... lets give Dank and B3 something useful!

• .fear, i wasnt suggesting that mods shouldn't deal with offensive names, but i was trying to address the question posed of where the line is to be drawn.

Case in point, NAGGER - i was party to a discussion in game between refs as to whether it was worthy of a !warn badname or not.

What i was trying to say is its a difficult thing to write down on paper, and that each admin should trust their own judgement as to whether a name is offensive or not.

It is impossible not to let personal feelings get in the way - isnt that what makes something offensive or not?

Not trying to suggest a way of working, just saying its a hard one to define in words as to what is offensive and what is not.

You can bind the commands - just difficult to create a bind that will warn someone. Afaik mindriot can setup shortcuts (such as !wi for !warninfo, !! for !say, etc). You can bind rules with /bind say !spam rulex

• First of all, Black Jesus has been playing for quite a while under that name. Afterall, it's been said that Jesus might well have been dark skinned. I'm not arguing that point. But, in his case, I usually warn, and then kick him when he starts with the "Your white and you died hahaha". Plus the use other scripts or binds that he has. If he comes back (after being told he was kicked for racism) and starts again, then of course, that warrants a tempban (in my book).
    As for recording a demo of a hak, then getting the players info, then kicking him. If you believe you have proof and have the capability, then I would not hesitate to tempban. If you just kick, they usually just rejoin. If I see someone tk or shoot a teammate, then I don't really know what might have led up to that so I warn both players to stop it. If one seems to persist then I kick. If I know I have done nothing to a player and they tk me, I will probably tell them what they did wrong and kick. They can always rejoin and act better. If they don't...you guessed it...BAN. I don't always ban the max 180. Sometimes only 15 minutes or 1 hour. Just so we can finish the rest of the current game without them.
    I think we all know who dank is, and what dank does, and there's really no need for much more ass kissing (unless he feels the need). His ass must be getting all parboiled by now. Probably looks like ur fingers get after soaking in the tub for an hour. Just use your head and let your conscience be your guide. dank IS God! (smooch)

• Misunderstood dad. My bad.

• once again, i agree with boogie. black jesus, the name alone can be tolerated, but "the repeated white man down" and other racial crap will get my attention. i have slapped, muted and kicked him in the past for using the racial taunts. he will usually get the hint and stop after a while. it may take a bigtext to get his attention to quit or be kicked but it has worked for me. as for tinkes document, it is good to see that you are willing to put forward the effort to contribute to the community. that speaks a lot to your dedication to our server. we all thank you for that. as for the context, im not sure how to comment, i think you touch on some points but i think it need alot of refinement and clarification. some parts may also be inconsistent with what FSK405 is about. you are very correct about the server being danks server that he pays for every month by himself but you need to remember, one of the reasons we have so many ref / admins is to try to manage the server the best that we can withing our limitation without bothering Dank / mindrot. the amount of time they must put in reviewing demos and banning IP must just be daunting and a major pain in the ass. they don't need to hear about the day to day drama that happens, that's why we are here. to handle the Asshats and to give the final demos to be added to UAA and to add the IPs to the ban list. major issues of course may need danks input.

• .fear - np, i didnt write the first posts very well!

zellis, pretty much everything you say above is bang on.

When I started reffing I was often unsure of whether I should do this, whether I should do that. The other refs and admins gave me some excellent pointers.

One of the pieces of advice I received a lot (and Im paraphrasing here) is that I should keep calm and dont get personal, but to trust my own judgement.

Moderator(s): FSK405 Earl, Frog, DankRider, Fokker, LadyHellfire*, Reflux