FSK405 Community Website Urban Terror, Bad Company 2 and BF3 Gaming Community!!

Forums

• I posted this in the superman hacker thread based on Boogie's demo. Same hacker that KittyBoy recorded.

Killmeplease.

Banned.

@69294

Reason: Aimbot

On the topic of charging for UrT, worm and Glad make good points. The restricted serial system existed under the Q3A engine back in the 3.7 and earlier days. If the dev team wanted to directly profit from it they would have had to license the Q3A engine and factor that into the cost.

With the release of the Q3A source code under the GPL license, the development of the ioQuake3 engine became a possibility. This engine has undergone many improvements which has allowed games like UrT and Tremulous to be standalone and entirely free (not relying on a copy of Q3A to run).

My understanding of the GPL license is that the dev team could change back to restricted serial system and charge for it. The drawbacks are:

- Since the serial system would be a part of ioUrbanTerror (ioQuake3 with modifications), it would have to be open-source code per the rules of the ioQuake3 (Q3A source code) GPL. Obviously, hackers could see how the system works and most likely compromise it.

- Negative publicity.

- A severe decline in players from which it be difficult to recover.

- Having to develop and maintain such a system, which I wonder if the dev team has the resources to support.

- As part of developing this system, the dev team would have to break from the development track of ioQuake3, which is a serious problem if one wants to use future ioQuake3 updates.

The hackers and asshats are a nuisance yet I fear a restricted system would hasten the demise of UrT. Although I was gone for the 3.7 days, my impression is that the UrT was in a serious decline and might not have survived without the release of 4.0 under ioQuake3. UrT is a great game but it is running on a heavily modified engine that was released 10 years ago.

I fear that 4.2 will be the last major update. Regardless, I applaud the dev team for their continual development and support, and I will enjoy the game while it lasts.

Moderator(s): FSK405 Earl, Frog, DankRider, Fokker, LadyHellfire*, Reflux