FSK405 Community Website Urban Terror, Bad Company 2 and BF3 Gaming Community!!

Forums

• Hit detection Fix

As spank_thru101 pointed out in a topic made last night on Gamefaqs, there's a possible fix for the hitboxes. So I spent an hour or so testing out all sorts of values and came to a conclusion that it does in fact make the hitboxes much more precise for people with faster (5mb/s+...) connections.

Here's a video explaining how in the description with demonstrations:

Copied from the description:

Are you tired of shooting people in Bad Company 2 but they don't take any damage? So was I. One poster on Gamefaqs (spank_thru101) posted a possible solution to the problem so I decided to test it out. Upon further investigation, this was also something you could edit in previous battlefield games.

Basically, add these two lines;

SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.0450000
    SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 45

to your gamesettings.ini and settings.ini file in the BFBC2 folder.
    In gamesettings.ini, add them between the lines;

IntroPlayed=1
    [GstPersistence]

In settings.ini, just add it to the end of the list. Save both files.

BEFORE YOU TRY THIS, change the value to your general server ping. For me, when I refresh the list, most servers are 31-45 ping. So, I change the values to .045 and 45 for 45 ping.

Say most of your servers are 73 ping, you'll want to change the values at the end of the previously stated changes to .073 and 73 respectively because you're generaly playing on 73 ping servers.

Upon further testing, lowering the value below the server ping results in even more accuracy, and lowering it much more makes the hitboxes in front of the target.

Apparently the battlefield series tries to compensate for an average of 100ms latency by default and so the hitboxes appear to "lag behind" the actual player model you're seeing in game. This fix changes it so that the models are where the hitboxes actually are by adjusting to your average ping instead.

The reason I had captions for serverlist ping and in-game ping value is because I tried with both options. You can see that the serverlist ping was the right one to choose for the value edit and caused the hitboxes to be entirely more accurate, while the in-game value arguably made them even worse.

So far over 30 people have reported much more accurate response-time and hit detection, while I haven't had a single person tell me that it didn't work. Test it out, let me know in this topic how it works for you.

to add, I said to add it between those two entires in the gamesettings.ini because it didn't work in 2 other places I tried it. (beginning and end), so I'm guessing you can have it anywhere in the middle, that's just where I chose.

As always, make sure you have the latest drivers for your hardware installed.

Don't know what hardware you have?

Download an application such as PC Wizard 2010. This is a freeware application that allows you to see EXACTLY what hardware you have.

If youre running an ATI card and you find BC2 crashes on startup (no error)

- Go to battlefield bad company\BFBC2Game.exe and right click -> properties -> compatibility and "Run this program as an administrator"

To get an ATI frames boost:

- Set Catalyst A.I to max

Decent FPS boost:

- Documents>BFBC2 and open up "settings"
    - Change "renderaheadlimit" to 0 instead of 2
    - This changes the amount of frames pre-rendered by your CPU for your GPU

Bigger FPS boost:

- Change "HSAO=true" to false (also settable in the in-game "advanced" graphics settings)

Other settings.ini changes that you can try:
    - Overgrowth="medium" - This is for trees and the such.
    - Undergrowth=”medium” – This is for grass and bushes.
    - Water=”medium” - Map has alot of water? Drop the quality for fps gains.
    - MSAA=”2? - This is Anti-aliasing. Lower value = higher FPS but lower quality. (jaggies)
    - Shadows=”medium”- You can also set this to low to improve performance
    - Textures=”medium”- Setting this to low can improve FPS at the cost of visual eye candy.
    - Aniso=2 - Set this to 0 to disable Anisotropic filtering.

To run DX9 for improved performance (this also stops random crashes for some people):

- Add "DxVersion=9" to the list (without quotation)
    - Alternatively, if you want to use DX10 or 11 change the value to 10 or 11.

You closed the PunkBuster agreement window and can't get it back:

- Head to Steam\steamapps\common\battlefield bad company 2\install\PunkBuster and re-install Punkbuster

To run the game in a window:

- Simply hit alt+enter and change your resolution to something smaller than your desktop.

For sticky/laggy mouse issues:

- Disable mouse acceleration in the game's mouse settings, and turn off Vsync in the graphics settings.

You can't look up-down and/or left-right:

- You've accidentally bound something to the axes that BF2 uses for looking around.
    - Reset your controls to fix this.
    - In future, when binding things to your mouse, pay close attention; if you move the mouse at all while binding, it will register & bind that horizontal or vertical movement axes, replacing your look ones.

Realtek onboard soundcards causing crashes:
    Try doing this - Under the Microphone settings there is a setting for Noise Suppression and Acoustic Echo Cancellation, turn both of those off. Thanks Z-Nazty
    -added by zerk

To enable war tapes audio:

- Change your audio setting to "war tapes" instead of "hifi"

A little more help on the FOV situation:

- In the settings.ini file you will see the Fov value, depending on your resolution and personal taste change this in accordance with the following information.

4:3 (1024x76
    -----
    FOV90 (Recommended) = 74
    FOV100 = 84
    FOV110 = 94
    -----
    5:4 (1280x1024)
    -----
    FOV90 (recommended) = 78
    FOV100 = 88
    FOV110 = 98

16:9 (1280x720, 1920x1080)
    -----
    FOV90 = 59
    FOV100 = 68
    FOV110 (Recommended) = 78
    -----
    16:10 (1280x768, 1280×800, 1440×900, 1680×1050, 1920×1200, 2560×1600)
    -----
    FOV90 = 65
    FOV100 (Recommended) = 74
    FOV110 = 84

What ports should I open for multiplayer if I'm having connectivity trouble?

- Port: 80 TCP
    - Port: 18121 TCP
    - Port: 18126 TCP
    - Port: 18126 UDP
    - Port: 13505 TCP

What ports should I open for multiplayer if I'm having EA connection issues?

- 18390 TCP Outgoing
    - 18395 TCP Outgoing
    - 18395 UDP Outgoing
    - 13505 TCP Outgoing
    - 80 TCP Outgoing

For those who are playing BC2 in the same network as another person:

Many are experiencing getting kicked when a friend on LAN joins the same server. To fix this:

Steam
    - Go to Steam's My games menu
    - Right-click on the BFBC2 and select Properties
    - From the General tab, click the Set launch options button
    - Add a different client port number on each machine between 27005 and 27032 in the following format:
    - Code: +clientport 270XX (Where XX is a different number for each system - do not use 27020)

DVD
    - Right click your shortcut for BFBC2; change your Target to something like "../../bfbc2.exe" +clientport 27011

Can't Update ? Gab00nViper wrote:

- Start the game and log-in to your account
    - Hit ctrl+alt+del to bring up task mgr
    - Run the Updater program
    - When you receive the error "can't replace bfbc2.exe because it's in use. Close the file and try again".
    - There will be 2 buttons: retry and cancel.
    - Go to Task Mgr and end the BFBC2.exe process
    - Click on retry
    - Success?

Joystick Binding / Unbinding / Mouse + Joystick issues?

Check this thread by Fredhead.

Speeding up of turret mouse movement.

Go here if you want that info.
    http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/446923.page

As always be patient when tweaking. Change a setting, restart your game, check it out, repeat.

• cool post, but wicked old news. I remember trying this when I first started playing, and trying to determine if it was psychosomatic or "real" was too much of a chore. IF! And only if.. one plays on the same server, or servers with very similar pings/connections, this is almost non-effective. Sure, it *may* provide benefit for those few, but I have seen nothing posted by EA about validity, nor have I seen empirical evidence of it doing anything.

Evidently, this was actually a viable config addition that DID work with previous Battlefield games; I wish I could recall if it was EA or some "once removed" geek that posted information about this. However, even amidst this discussion so long ago, EA never chimed in with a defacto, 100% denial or admittance of effect.

If someone has proof, EA statement, or some empirical proof of validity, I would LOVE to see it.

• I got this from the main BFBC 2 web site, main forums and they have made it a sticky thread post. It seems that some of the info. must be good enough for them to ok it as possible fix for bugs.

• Ive noticed a great improvement in games smoothness when setting the texture quality to high while other settings were at low.

Moderator(s): FSK405 Earl, Frog, DankRider, Fokker, LadyHellfire*, Reflux