FSK405 Community Website Urban Terror, Bad Company 2 and BF3 Gaming Community!!

Forums

• Battlefield 3 Forum Link

Text pasted here:

"Many" of you may have trouble with the game regarding connection or just gameplay issues. Here are a list of tweaks and fixes you can try. I cannot take responsibility for damages and loss, use this at your own risk. Lazily copied from "Sons of Valor" forum.

Tweaks & Fixes Index:

1 - Network / Connection Issues.
    2 - Gameplay Tweaks. (BF3 weapons database included in this section)
    3 - Game Crash / Install / Stability Issues. (Many fixes for crashes / lockups have been found)
    4 - Frame Rate & Performance.
    5 - Punkbuster & Kick Issues.
    6 - Server Tweaks & Fixes for Admins.
    7 - November 22 Patch Issues & Fixes.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________

1: Network Tweaks / Connection Issues.

Fix Disconnections: (Disconnections immediate or every 10-20 mins)

UPnP - Router:

1. Log into your modem / router.
    2. Turn OFF UPNP.

Turn off PC UPnP Service:

1. Press: Windows-button (the one between lAlt and lCtrl) + R, a window should pop up.
    2. Write: "services.msc" (without the ") then press enter.
    3. In the list of services, scroll down to "UPnP Device Host", click it and press "Stop service".
    4. Now do the same thing but with the service "SSDP Discovery".
    5. Exit the window and go to control panel-> Network and Internet-> Network and Sharing Centre-> Change advanced sharing settings (to the left)-> Under "network discovery" select to turn off network discovery
    6. SAVE CHANGE

Firewall Blocking / etc

- Boot MSconfig in start. Disable your Firewall and Anti Virus if its a windows based one. Disable any other process there that might affect you and reboot.
    -If game works fine. This means there is some issue with your firewall or Anti virus setup.

ECN Packets has been enabled by a Net Speed Tool

To fix this :
    1. open a CMD prompt AS ADMINISTRATOR
    2. type "netsh"
    3. type "int tcp set global ecncapability=disabled"

ECN packets are Refused by EA. These are FAKE packets to fool the connection.

Set BF3 PC in DMZ on your router.

-Note will expose the computer, and the PC will not be protected by the routers firewall.
    -Make sure you have your windows firewall enabled.
    -This should be a "last resort" measure.

How to play BF3 with multiple PCs on a LAN with UPnP disabled ?

*Credit goes to P1nchedNerve
    (Just a note, I didnt think you could do this with origin like you can with steam, but apparently you can!)

eg) Edit each computers BF3 executable to include the " -port XXXXX" (as long as each PC uses a different port)

Computer A = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\bf3.exe -port 10000"

Computer B = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\bf3.exe -port 10001"

Computer C = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\bf3.exe" -port 10002"

Stuck on Joining Server / Long map load times:

Cause: Bug with x64 OS
    Fix: Open / Run regedit.

Navigate to: HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WoW6432Node/EA Games

Change the GDFBinary & InstallDir paths to C:Program Files (x86)Origin GamesBattlefield 3

Try to launch the game and join game servers, and it should work.

Battlefield 3 Ports: (may help connection issues)

-If you need help with making exceptions on your firewall(s). Consult the manufacturer.

-If you need help with portforwarding. Please visit www.portforward.com
    If you have problems or other issues portforwarding, contact your router manufacturer.

PC Ports:
    TCP: 80, 443, 9988, 20000-20100, 22990, 17502, 42127
    UDP: 3659, 14000-14016, 22990-23006, 25200-25300

PS3 Ports:
    TCP: 80, 443, 9988, 10000-10100, 17502, 42127
    UDP: 3659, 14000-14016

Xbox 360 Ports:
    TCP: 53, 88, 3074
    UDP: 53, 88, 3074

Servers Lag:

-Either caused by EA or hosting datacenter. No fix currently.

Update: Developers are working on the issue.

Battlelog Error: "ERR_LOGIN_DISPLAYTOS"

Cause: A few players are experiencing this. It is a server related issue. There is no fix.
    Have to wait for the developers...
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________

2: Gameplay Tweaks.

Contrast & Lighting too bright !!!!

Fix: Open PROF_SAVE_profile in notepad++
    \Documents\Battlefield 3\settings\PROF_SAVE_profile

Change: GstRender.Contrast 0.500000

*Lower the setting to whatever feels right.

Mouse is lagging:

Fix: Turn Origin Off in game.
    Settings > In Game > Enable Origin In Game.

Sluggish / Unresponsive Mouse:

1. Go here: C:\Users\YOU\Documents\Battlefield 3\settings
    2. Open PROF_SAVE_profile with notepad++ (can download for free)
    3. Change the following variables:

GstInput.MouseSensitivity 0.050000

1st one is the normal mouse sens. USE whatever you like, or keep it the way it is.

These can be edited and it may solve the problem.

GstInput.Scheme0Sensitivity 0.000000
    GstInput.Scheme1Sensitivity 0.000000
    GstInput.Scheme2Sensitivity 0.000000

Battlefield 3 Weapons Database:

-We are unsure of its validity, but if correct, it may be incredibly useful for players.

http://symthic.com/?s=bf3&sb=dmgchart [symthic.com]

How can I play Battlefield 3 using my Steam overlay?

- Disable Origin's overlay (click the gear/cog and go to the "in game" settings tab).
    - In Steam, add Origin.exe as a non-steam game to your library.
    - Launch the Origin shortcut from your Steam library, then launch BF3.

Long Map Load Times ?

-Is affecting many users, even those with HDDs in raid 0.

Fix:

Try:

Open / Run: regedit.

Navigate to: HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WoW6432Node/EA Games

Change the GDFBinary & InstallDir paths to C:Program Files (x86)Origin GamesBattlefield 3

Try to launch the game and join game servers, and it should work.

Alternate Fix: Buy a SSD drive, install BF3 & origin on there.

3: Game Crash / Install / Stability Issues.

Realtek Audio Bug:

1) Rigth Click on the Speaker icon.
    2) Right click "Speakers" and select properties.
    3) Advanced tab (far right)
    4) Uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".

BF3 PC Lockup / Freeze - with looping audio:

Cause: BF3 bug with onboard (motherboard) audio.

Fix: Install a separate soundcard & use that. Disable onboard audio in BIOS.
    *Note users on EA UK forums have had success with Creative X-FI cards. (No game freezes)

Nvidia 560/570 Freezing / Graphics Issues Fix:

1) Update to LATEST Nvidia Drivers
    2) Turn OFF - AA - DEFERED
    3) Turn OFF - VSYNC
    4) Turn OFF - Motion Blur

Nvidia 560 Ti Lockup / Freeze:

1.Go to your card manufacturers website. (E.g. Gigabyte, MSI, Asus etc)
    2.Select your card type (E.g. GTX 560Ti)
    3.Download the latest BIOS for the card
    4.Flash it (Install, it's usually an .exe file)
    5.Reboot (Most will prompt you to do it automatically)
    6.Frag away.

AMD/ATI 6770m Game Crash with BF3 still running in background (possibly other AMD gfx cards too)

-Load up single player.
    -Under options disable Anti Aliasing ( AA deferred )
    *Best to disable AA post as well.

-Download the LATEST drivers from your laptops manufacturers site.

-Save & exit.
    -Multiplayer should now work. The game shouldnt crash to desktop.

*Can confirm this works as It was discovered while trying to solve the issue with a laptop running BF3.

ASUS G73 Radeon HD58XX Users:

Source: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654624706495348/ [battlelog.battlefield.com]

I found the solution for the problem with G73 from ASUS with ATI RADEON HD5series.
    In fact you need to get a proper drivers from ASUS web site and not from AMD ....

Flash you graphics with "93vBIOSa.rar" .... find it on google.
    Then deinstall ATI CATALYST preview install. CCLEANER DRIVER SWEEPER.

Install this release of CATALYST.
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=2795&file=1&evp=feec49beb63cf6646e7f5f947e9c49ee [downloads.guru3d.com]

And for info..http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=264&threadid=149301 [forums.amd.com]

Graphics Cards Crashing:

-This is common with graphics cards that are factory overclocked or have been overclocked by the user.

-Simple fix is to turn down the MHz (underclock).
    *Estimate 40-100 MHz.

-Try turning the frequency down, until you hit a setting where the game runs nicely without lockups/crashes.

ASUS Cards - End of round crash issue:

-All credit to MrPaulieC http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654624708842462/#!/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654624702875874/ [battlelog.battlefield.com]

PROBLEM: Crashing at the end of every round (BF3.exe has stopped working) just before the scores come up and not being able to play single player.

SOLUTION: If you own an ASUS card (ATi or NV) and you installed the 'Smart Doctor' and/or 'ASUS Gamer' software then this is what's VERY likely causing you end of round crashes. All you need to do is uninstall Smart Doctor and ASUS Gamer, restart your computer and reinstall your video card drivers - that's it!!!

New Graphics Settings Not Displaying After Change ?

Press the Windows Key to force the game to Window Mode, click on the game window to go back into the game. New settings should now be applied.
    If this doesnt work. Try exiting the game and starting it again.

• More from there:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    GO and check if your machine is capable of running this game . There is a site that you can check out your pc on . http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx. [systemrequirementslab.com] Make sure you actually check this out b4 you buy the game .
    Please dont come crying on the forum if your pc just is not powerful enough .

WINDOWS
    Next there is some hidden requirements .Widows vista must be updated to service pack 2 . Also you must have the KB971512 platform update installed . Some have reported issues with windows 7 . TO be safe make sure both platforms are fully updated .

PORT FORWARDING
    For game server connection dropping problems make sure you port forward your router .
    UDP 3659
    UDP 6000
    TCP 9946
    TCP 42100
    TCP 13000 -> 13100

PUNKBUSTER UPDATES
    Punkbuster needs sometimes to be updated . So go to The pb website and download the manual installer . Put it into a folder and then run it . Check the manual updater on a regular basis for update .

PATCH ISSUES
    Patches have been launched and gave immediate errors when the game was updated . Make sure after each patch you right click on the game icon in origin then click on repair install . Once done restart origin .

FPS AND DIRECT X issues
    some people have been suffering from FPS and DX issues on overclocked graphy cards . Reset them to normal values and it should run fine . By normal values i mean the cards standard clock values . Some cards come pre overclocked , If you have issues with these uderclock them to the standard cards values .

DRIVERS
    Drivers seem to be the biggest issue with this game . DO NOT USE WINDOWS UPDATE . Download your drivers from the vendor of your hardware . This game will not run unless you have the latest Graphics drivers installed . Also some people have reported sound driver problem . So install the newest sound drivers aswell . If you still have sound issues some have reported that disabling the HDaudio drivers and you should be good to go .

Make sure you properly install drivers . Un-install the drivers b4 installing new drivers . restart your pc then reinstall the new drivers . The main driver issue with any game is people not installing their drivers properly .

BF3.exe
    Sometimes when you get dropped from a server you cant get back into a game . For some reason Battle log tells you its playing so when you launch the window it crashes back to the desktop . The BF3.exe basically crashed without any usual windows notification sound . Close the error box and restart again it will run fine again for a while . I have yet to find a fully working fix for this error .

BF3 GRAPHICS EDITOR
    Thanks to THE SHAPE for finding this . http://bf3.realmware.co.uk/ [bf3.realmware.co.uk]
    It was created by tehfusion and Insanecrimsontid . It also is not in breach of the tos since it does not launch or run the game outside of ORIGIN .

ORIGIN FIX

Error Upon launch an error message appears stating "Could Not Activate" . Possible Solution One workaround is to delete the BF3 license file to to force a license update.

First Workaround
    1. Exit Origin completely. You can do this by right-clicking Origin in your system tray (near the clock) and selecting "Exit"
    2. Open Internet Explorer (this will only work with Internet Explorer, not other browsers). Enter the following address into your address bar and press "Enter/Return"

C:\ProgramData\Electronic Arts\EA Services\License

3. Delete the file named either 71067.dlf or 70619 or 71069.dlf
    4. Restart your machine.
    5. Launch Origin and login to your Origin account.
    6. Attempt to launch Battlefield 3
    Second Workaround
    1. Exit Origin completely. You can do this by right-clicking Origin in your system tray (near the clock) and selecting "Exit"
    2. Open Internet Explorer (this will only work with Internet Explorer, not other browsers). Enter the following address into your address bar and press "Enter/Return"

C:\ProgramData\Origin\DownloadCache

3. Delete the files in this directory
    4. Restart your machine.
    5. Launch Origin and login to your Origin account.
    6. Attempt to launch Battlefield 3

This workaround was put on the EA forums by ea themselves . This a workaround until they can sort out a permanent fix for this problem .

GRAPHICS CARDS issues
    Some people have noticed that graphics cards are unstable while running the game . GPU hitching and a general kick up of the gpu . Underclocking the corp clock speed by 100mhz seems to fix this problem .

Green flickering issue
    Its been recommended to turn down the graphics settings . The green flickering can somtimes actually be caused by a lack of VRAM on your graphics card. Download MSI afterburner and check to see how much VRAM is being used at your current settings. green flickers with ultra + 4xMSAA, drop it down to 2xMSAA and it should disappear.

SERVER TIMED OUT ISSUE

From the EA forum post by DJUNGLEJARL
    1. Press: Windows-button (the one between lAlt and lCtrl) + R, a window should pop up.
    2. Write: "services.msc" (without the ") then press enter.
    3. In the list of services, scroll down to "UPnP Device Host", click it and press "Stop service".
    4. Now do the same thing but with the service "SSDP Discovery".
    5. Exit the window and go to control panel-> Network and Internet-> Network and Sharing Centre-> Change advanced sharing settings (to the left)-> Under "network discovery" select to turn off network discovery
    6. SAVE CHANGE

Fix 2 .
    I have noticed that repairing the install and restarting origin after every update helps with this problem . The last update EA sent out left me hanging in game for 30 seconds then booted me with the time out error . Closed my browser then repaired the install and restarted origin. IT worked ever since .

FIX 3
    thx to MaintenanceMan for noticing this .
    Some routers have UPNP enabled by default . Go to your router setting and disable it . If the above steps have not worked this should work .

I have not tested the 1st one sine repairing the install worked for me . All the other issues i had and tested out everything worked fine let me know about this fix for the server timeout issue .

Browser issues
    Some info on the browsers and noticeable issues

GOOGLE CHROME .
    If you have the minimum amount of ram to run the game i suggest using another browser . GOOGLE CHROME does use a lot of ram compared to other browsers . That said people have noticed slightly higher fps than when using Firefox
    FIREFOX .
    There seems to be fps issues when using this browser . That said if your system is running the game with the minimum amount of ram its the best choice as that is the only issue anyone has with Firefox .
    IE9 .
    A lot of people at the moment are complaining about IE9 causing problems with the game . Thay are getting around to fixing this issue but it maybe a while b4 microsoft has IE9 patched up . Alternatively you can somehow roll back to IE8 or use another browser altogether .

Chrome or Firefox at the moment seem to be the best choice out of the browsers . Until Microsoft release fixes for IE9 OR ea manage to patch up the game to work these are your only real choices .

BF3 Crash to desktop
    Thanks to SystemiK for finding this

*******************32BIT ONLY - USERS***********************

I've been having the crash problem - games in MP crashing in ~5mins, and SP crashing every so often. Found the solution from another game actually where I was having a similar problem - Empire: Total War.

BE AWARE, THIS IS ONLY A WORKAROUND - THE ISSUE STILL NEEDS TO BE FIXED. THIS IS A FIX FOR THOSE RUNNING 32BIT WINDOWS 7 AND WINDOWS VISA WITH 4GB RAM OR MORE.

From here on, I'm copy-pasting the instructions. This works for both Vista and W7. Got me through 20mins of MP for the first time though - longest game I've had. Haven't tested for longer.

What does it do?
    It has to do two things that both rely on each other to work. For 32 bit operating systems we have to tell the operating system it can use more than 2GB user address space, 2.5GB actually, while leaving 1.5Gb for the kernel. We also have to set the Empire.exe executable to be allowed to address beyond the 2GB ceiling. 64 bit OS users don't have to do anything.

What does it help with?
    This is not the solution for all crashes. It deals primarily with the crash to desktop that is caused by lack of virtual address space.Due to the unique nature of how addresses are mapped differently on each machine this crash may happen at different places and times of the game, even loading a map, menu or waiting on an AI turn. If you try this fix, and you follow directions properly, and it doesn't help you then your crash is due to something else.

How do I do it?
    Follow directions explicitly. I have seen people consistently skip steps or not read the directions properly so it doesn't work for them whne they don't do what it says. it's not as complicated as it sounds, I'm just being thorough.

APPLY THE WORKAROUND (juicy caramel center)

Requirements

Only real requirements is that you have atleast 2GB RAM. You don't need beyond that even though we are allowing addressing up to 2.5 GB. Also following instructions and being somewhat familiar with working with files in windows is required. Make sure you are using Vista SP1. If not then you need this hotfix that fixes a major blunder with Vista address space - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105 [support.microsoft.com]
    That's all, follow the 3 steps.

1) Prepare the operating system to be able to use beyone 2GB address space with a userva of 2.5GB (only 32 bit OS's need to do this): I am purposely using only 2500 for userva for specific reasons and any more will likely not be needed, as a result the kernel will have plenty of space to play in.

All 64 bit OS's
    Nothing to do on the OS. Proceed to step 2 on setting the executable. 64 bit OS's running 32 bit binaries are also limited to 2GB application space.

Moderator(s): FSK405 Earl, Frog, DankRider, Fokker, LadyHellfire*, Reflux